Saturday, August 31, 2013

Reflections of a Mother

This is well worth the read: http://www.autismsupportnetwork.com/news/he-struggles-hes-my-hero

What a touching, honest and heartfelt depiction of this child and his mother's love. JC has high functioning Autism.  His struggles pale in the light if so many. I can relate to this mother's explanation of good days and bad days. Days when JC says new words, eats new foods, plays without screaming, asks for help. Those are days when my heart beams with pride and amazement at how for he has come. And then the days of tears because he can't get his shoes on but won't allow me to help, or screams because someone touched or moved his toy, or the constant attempts to elicit a response of some sort when it feels like I am taking to myself and all he is doing is babbling or screaming.  The bad days make me so thankful for the good days.  And I love every bit of him. I'm thankful that the bad days aren't worse, I enjoy the good days and I thank God for every day. 

I have never told anyone this, but before we had my older son, my husband and I were having fertility issues. We had tried for 2 years to have a child. We had finally decided to do in vitro fertilization. During that time I asked God to please bless us with a child. Even if he needed a special home for an angwl with special needs, I would love any child and be the best mother possible.  We became pregnant the month before we were to start in vitro fertilization. We had a beautiful and healthy baby boy. He is now 7 and he lights up my world. But God remembered my promise, and also blessed up with JC 5 years later.  And I am trying to live up to my promise to be the best mother that he deserves. 




1 comment:

  1. From everything I have read in your blog I am sure you are keeping your promise. You're a great mom. I know what is like to have a child with SPD. My daughter is 4 years old and was diagnosed this past January. Feel free to check out my blog as well: http://samanthasowden.blogspot.ca

    Keep up being a great Mom and God Bless!

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete